Richard Huizenga Attorney

Failure to observe traffic signals – NJSA 39:4-81

If you get caught running a red light or a stop sign, you are considered to have violated a New Jersey traffic law, and you will receive a traffic ticket.

The NJ law: N.J.S.A. 39:4-81

The New Jersey law for Failure to Observe Traffic Signals provides:
“a. The driver of every vehicle, the motorman of every street car and every pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device applicable thereto, placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer.

b. When, by reason of a power failure or other malfunction, a traffic control signal at an intersection is not illuminated, the driver of a vehicle or street car shall, with respect to that intersection, observe the requirement for a stop intersection, as provided in N.J.S.A. 39:4-144.”

Failure to Observe Traffic Signals is very similar to Failure to Stop for Traffic Lights, N.J.S.A. 39:4-105 and a police officer typically writes for either one of these violations when a driver runs a red light in New Jersey.

NJ Fines and Penalties

If you are convicted of or plead guilty to Failure to Observe Traffic Signals, the Court has the discretion to imprison you up to 15 days in jail (39:4-203). Additionally, the Court must fine you anywhere from $50 to $200 (39:4-203), court costs up to $33 (N.J.S.A. 22A:3-4) and a $6 assessment (N.J.S.A. 39:5-41).

The above listed fines must be doubled when the offense is in an area designated with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour (N.J.S.A. 39:4-98.6) or committed in an area of highway construction or repair or when committed in a designated safe corridor (N.J.S.A. 39:4-203.5).

Failure to observe traffic signals results in the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) adding two points to your driving record.

The Law Firm of Richard Huizenga is here to help

If you receive a ticket for failing to observe traffic signals in NJ, a NJ traffic ticket attorney may be able to help protect your driving record. Call the Law Firm of Richard Huizenga at (732) 500-4688 for a free consultation.